NetSuite Tips and Tricks: How to Import Data into NetSuite
One of the most requested frequently features we come across when setting up data in NetSuite is the Data Import feature. Whether it’s a client that is importing data in bulk from an existing data source into NetSuite, or a company that is migrating from a legacy system to NetSuite, the data import functionality is at the very top of their wish list.
Luckily though, NetSuite provides a number of options for importing various records types so bulk data import into NetSuite is not an issue. You do have to be careful though, when importing data from scratch into NetSuite, because different record types can be related. So you need to be very careful of the dependencies that exist among these record types. If you plan for this contingency ahead of time though, you can save yourself a lot of hassle down the road.
Based on our experience of setting up data in NetSuite for numerous clients, we’ve compiled a list of the top data import options you can use for importing data into NetSuite, and the sequence of records that they should be should be applied on, for a clean, trouble-free data import process.
Data Import Options You Can Use
Below are some of the data import options you can use to import data into NetSuite.
- Type your data into NetSuite
- Use the Netsuite CSV Import Assistant
- Use SuiteScript / WebServices for data import (this option requires technical skills though)
Identify the Best Data Import Option For You
Before you begin the data import process, you should first analyze your data to determine which Data Import Option would be best for that particular data set. Given below is a brief overview of the data import options you can use, and the sort of data each option is best for.
- Manually type/enter your data into Netsuite – you can use this option if you only have a small set of data that you need to import
- Use the NetSuite CSV Import Assistant – you should use this option if your data doesn’t require any additional processing. The only limitation with this method is that it only allows certain record types to be imported in NetSuite. So if your records are of a type that is not supported by this data import method, you’ll have to look for an alternative.
- SuiteScript / WebServices – Although this option requires technical (development) skills, it is the most versatile data import option available, as it enables you to not only run additional processing on your data before importing, it also enables you to import any type of record into NetSuite.
Suggested Sequence of Records for Seamless Data Import
For a seamless and trouble free data import, you should import the following records in sequence, into NetSuite.
- Other Name
- Purchase Order
- Item Receipt
- Vendor Bill
- Vendor Credit
- Vendor Payment
- First Import void vendor payments
- Then final vendor payments
- Sales Order
- Customer Deposit
- Cash Sale
- Item Fulfillment
- Credit Memo
- Customer Payment
- Customer Refund
- First Import void customer refunds
- Then final customer refunds
- Cash Refund
- Journal Entry
- CRM Records
- Support Case
Preparing for the Data Import
Below are some best practices that you should following when importing data into NetSuite. Performing these steps can help you save a lot of time.
- Plan for your data migration before doing anything else
- Determine how to map the data from your existing application into NetSuite
- Review the existing data
- Make sure all custom list options are enabled in NetSuite
- Make sure all custom record entries are enabled in NetSuite
- Make sure all your accounts are setup in NetSuite
- Make sure the segments (department, class, location) are setup NetSuite
In our experience, if you follow the above guidelines and best practices when importing data into NetSuite, you can save yourself a lot of time and effort during the data import process. We follow the same best practices ourselves, in all of our NetSuite implementation, customization and NetSuite integration projects.
If you have NetSuite data import requirement you would like to discuss, or would like to know more about our NetSuite development services, please get in touch with us.